Wednesday 30 April 2014

The Great British Sculpture Show 2014

Until 30th September Hatfield House hosts The Great British Sculpture Show 2014. The statues are scattered around the gardens of the great house. You can be sure I'll be showing you the House and its magnificent grounds in subsequent posts but these sculptures are such good fun that I can't resist showing you them first.

Sculpture? Fun? Just wait and see....



Peregrine Falcon
by Geoffrey Dashwood
(bronze)



Seedpod Fountain
by David Goode
(bronze)



Femme Assise
by Paul Day
(bronze)



Roe Buck
by Hamish Mackie
(bronze)



Giant Tarantula
by Eddie Powell & Wilfred Pritchard
(mild steel)



Bess
by Annika Hellgren
(bronze)



Pre-Hysteric
by Andrew Sinclair
(bronze)



You Win...I Give Up
by Rudy Weller
(oak)



Durer's Rhinocerous
by Andrew Sinclair
(bronze resin)



Natasha
by Etienne Millner
(bronze)



Hard Labour
by Eddie Powell & Wilfred Pritchard
(bronze and cast iron)

In response to some early comments and questions:
The show was put together by Diane Coates and Andrew Sinclair, two fine sculptors in their own right, and set out to "(rebuild)... appreciation and respect for the talent and skill involved in the creation of figurative and realistic art and sculpture - and also to show that art can be humorous and fun". There are 82 works on show by 24 different artists so what you see here is only a small selection. 

The exhibits vary in scale - you can walk underneath the Giant Tarantula for example. All the works are for sale, though the Peregrine Falcon, another huge piece, would set you back a cool £250,000!

Take care.








8 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful exhibition in a great setting. So many fascinating sculptures in different styles. Think Bess, Roebuck, Natasha and Hard Labour are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to find that I really liked most of these - I'm not generally a big fan of modern sculpture especially in gardens. I loved the roebuck and 'you win -I give up' made me laugh. The giant tarantula I can live without though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some really neat sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful and fascinating collection of sculptures. What interested me was seeing how many are realistic in style instead of abstracts, and yet many also showed humor. Do you think the sculptors got together and agreed upon a style and approach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness what an amazing collection of sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an interesting collection, like Rowan I'm not a huge fan of sculpture but I liked several of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of these marvelous sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John, (& everyone)
    I'm just writing to say thanks for your fantastic review of The Great British Sculpture Show 2014! Andy and I are thrilled with the response from your audience and the public in general - we really wanted to create an exhibition that was both inspiring and fun as well as displaying the talent and craftsmanship of our artists to create sculptures that have a real 'wow' factor!
    Thank you. Diane Coates, Co-curator of The Great British Sculpture Show.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).