Friday 9 October 2015

Dreams Of Home

For many years "home" for me was the pretty village of Grantchester just outside Cambridge. In some ways it still is home as my mother still lives there and I visit her often to care for her (and the garden). Yesterday, while she had a friend visiting, I went out for a stroll with my camera along the familiar village street. 


Grantchester, as almost anyone who has visited the city of Cambridge well knows, is a favourite bolt-hole for any tourist who tires of the crowded colleges in the centre of town. I've also shown many photos from the village on this blog and recently it's been the setting for a TV drama. But today I sought to photograph details from those gardens which can be easily seen from the roadside.


As in the last post I thought I'd confine myself to ten photographs and I've given them a rather dreamy treatment, partly by tinkering on the computer but also by limiting the depth of focus, shooting against the rather fierce light and other tricks of the trade.



Cottages like the one above are much loved by all who visit the village though by no means everybody lives in them - or would want to for that matter!



The rather strange effect above is simply the shadows of plants and trees thrown onto a roughcast cottage wall.



This small house, originally built for farmworkers, has been left empty for a while but the garden plants have enjoyed the freedom to go exactly where they want! 


In the churchyard this nasturtium was determined to wake me from my reverie with its blast of incendiary orange.



Back to the greens and reds of our deserted garden for this little detail of the front doorstep as leaves slowly gather where no one any longer treads. Don't worry though, I'm sure this little house right next to the meadows will soon be snapped up as there is always a huge demand to live in such an idyllic setting, just a short cycle-ride from Cambridge.



It's the time of year for fungi to develop on any rotting wood and in any damp place.



A very smart yellow front door lurks amongst a riot of vegetation.


As Autumn edges into Winter the roses begin to feel their age and droop their heads a little.
And me? No, as long as we have this clean, fresh, sunny October weather I'll be striding out with head held high.


Take care.



18 comments:

  1. I was ready to choose as my favorite the photo of the lone rose swinging against the 'dreamy' background. That choice was challenged by the leaf-strewn doorstep and the cluster of fading roses--to say nothing of that glowing nasturtium. Perhaps it suffices to say I've enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet again, your photos stun. I'd say there is beauty to find, probably a bit of certainty and perhaps a touch of quiet kind...and is there honey still for tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the beginning of your post, I like that once a pretty village was your home. We never leave our home, we carry it with us everywhere we go.

    You took pictures of simple but very beautiful moments! You took these pictures with your heart. I can feel it and that is most precious thing in photography! Excellent photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post, John. Your first image is a beautiful way to begin the post. I like the two close-ups of declining roses and the shots of overgrown buildings . Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great variety! And dreamy effect achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pictures of ordinary things! I like those shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photos showcasing the small, intimate details of your home village. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos, John! I love the way you have taken (and edited) them. Flowers are always beautiful, but perhaps my favourite would be the one of the fungi. Gorgeous light in that photo.
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful - I love the empty cottage with its overgrown garden, the stuff of childhood dreams. I love the light in both the fungi and the nasturtium flower photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the stroll John. I have never been but these photos make me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every photo is special, but in particular: photo 2 - the rose seems suspended in the air, waiting for something; photo 5- the little house being enveloped by plants; the nasturtium is full of life and punch;photo 6 - not sure exactly what it is about it, just really like it; photo 7 - the fungi are so whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful stroll through a lovely village with it's pretty little gardens. my favourite is the yellow door cottage with lavender out front.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a wonderful walk through the very beautiful and colorful town of Grantchester. Such a lovely place for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely little town. Like an English storybook. I like the farm-workers house with the overflowing plants. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos, I love the yellow door. Visited Granchester a few years ago, a group of us hired some punts. It is a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grantchester looks as though it is a lovely place to live. I too love the deserted cottage garden and also the first one with the basket - I have a thing for baskets and that is a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the houses behind of all these garden. Lovely images.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).