Wednesday 9 May 2018

Open For Business


Perfect days like this are few and far between. The ideal day to be cycling along, just north of Downham Market, and enjoying the roadside flowers and the vast skies arching over the Fens. I was on my way somewhere else (which of course you'll learn about in future posts) when I realised I was close to the village of Wimbotsham.


When I say "realised I was close" I mean there was a big sign at the side of the road saying WIMBOTSHAM so I could hardly be mistaken. I remembered that the church has some nicely carved bench-ends on the pews, not medieval but so cleverly carved that you could easily think that they were the real thing.


I smiled at the sign inside the porch. I'm sure they don't really mean it any more than the landlord of a pub I know means All Day Opening - try knocking on the door at eight o'clock in the morning and see if mine host is as merry as he was at ten the previous evening! And I bet the church locks up at night too. But at least it's open now which is all that matters.


I went inside and waited for my eyes to adjust to the light and I'm sure I heard a voice but as I looked around I could see there was no one else there and I commenced taking a photo of the unusual stone pulpit and the old stairs which once led up to the rood loft.


See what I mean about the bench ends? The woodcarver has perfectly caught the mood of older carvings. Not only that, but the subject-matter and the darkening of the wood looks so authentic.


A rather unusual "poppy-head" bench end depicting a figure carrying a shield bearing a coat of arms. The term "poppy-head" has nothing to do with poppies anyway and I was trying to remember just.....

"Excuse me" - there's that voice again. Not an indignant "excuse me", but someone sounding as if begging forgiveness. Then I could see him, kneeling down behind the altar. Was he in prayer? Or maybe a workman fixing the electrics?


"I'll be going soon. Got caught out last night". I understood then, my mystery man was a homeless person who sought (and found) refuge from the night air in the chancel of the church. At least that was my conclusion from the evidence of the sleeping bag, the discarded shoes and the water bottle. 

"I've just come in to take some photos," I assured him. He looked around him, "Aye, it's a beautiful building, isn't it?" he said. I'd have liked to have spoken to him for longer, but with that he climbed back into his sleeping bag and settled down once more. I turned to leave him in peace.


So. Not only a church with remarkable carving, but also one with a remarkable policy, for this day and age, of actually always being open.


Outside once more I noticed a huge Norman door. At least I think it's Norman. Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe.


Take care.

Oh, I've just looked it up, the term poppyhead comes from the Latin word "puppis" meaning the curved figurehead of a ship.



16 comments:

  1. Wonderful old church well worth the visit. You should add it on Inspired Sunday this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful policy to leave the church open to anyone who needs a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s great to hear of a church really fulfilling its mission. I wonder how may parishioners would approve of the homeless person sleeping there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous church! I love little out-of-the-way places and this one is just beautiful. And how great that it's open 24/7 and could give shelter to those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful church, and a truly wonderful thing that the doors really are open 24/7. Love the carvings and that stunning blue sky on the way there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just talking with someone about how sad it is that churches have to lock up these days. I'm glad he was able to find a safe place inside.

    Wonderful carvings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. l'un peut se reposer et l'autre admirer ce lieu, belle église pour tous !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious image at the start of this post which beautifully encompasses springtime in Norfolk with its wide expansive skies.
    That doorway is definitely Norman and how wonderfully crisp the pie-crust archway still is considering it must be well over a 1000 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first photo would make a perfect postcard, John. The church is beautiful, with a tower like I would expect on a castle, and an impressive door with all the wonderful details. I was surprised to see a woodcarved pig there, I wonder if that has a specific meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful old church! They have many beautiful carvings. Happy to hear about the open door policy in this year:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful church and the landscape around looks lovely. The first photo proves that the day was indeed perfect.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do see what you mean about the bench end carvings, which are lovely. The pop-up source of the voice must have been a bit startling. How wonderful that a church in these times is truly open 24/7 and for the needs of someone homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something very touching about the man sleeping there, a reminder that churches are supposed to welcome all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that first shot...days like this are just wonderful. Very interesting church. Funny hearing the voice and then it really being someone. In my older age, I have gotten till it would probably have scared me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, that's a Norman door all right. I wonder if the tympanum, which looks new, was ever carved?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John - what delightful photos as too story ... and how good to know someone was able to be in peace without worrying about moving on ... and a great name 'Wimbotsham' is ... then the pew ends and the story re poppy head - wonderful information - thank you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).