Tuesday 7 November 2017

An Afternoon Saunter


After grabbing a bit of lunch I trundled through the village on my bike. Just after I'd taken this photo the church bells began to ring so I made my way through to the churchyard bench. After a lazy half-hour sitting in the sunshine and listening to the bells ringing out across the village I thought I'd better continue on my way.


I passed through Shepreth and on to Barrington where I locked up my bike in the churchyard and went for a walk. I followed the road up Chapel Hill passing the huge and now disused cement works and eventually finding the footpath that leads off westwards.


Most of the way the path led me through a tunnel between trees and bushes, though I knew from my map and from occasional glimpses through the branches that I was close to the edge of the huge quarry that had been excavated by the cement company over the decades.


That's the best view I could get of the great chalk cliffs of the quarry. When quarrying was abandoned they had dug back a mile from the cement works along a front 0.6 miles wide - that's a lot of cement! The company also owned a lot more of this chalk hill which they presumably would also have excavated had it been economically viable.


Happily the crest of the hill, where the track runs, has been preserved, saving the wide views out over the flat Cambridgeshire landscape.


I would guess that this is a very a old track indeed as our Stone Age ancestors customarily made their way through the south of England following the high chalk ridges. I discovered a huge badger sett among the trees though couldn't find any evidence of recent occupation.


A few farm tracks led off towards the farms in the parish of Harlton.


That's what I'd been looking for: the little footbridge leading onto an old road, which crosses the hill and goes by the interesting name of Whole Way.


The road is now just an unmade track leading down from Cracknow Hill. If you look carefully to the right-hand side of the road you'll see a little caravan tucked in among the bushes. As I got closer I could see there were two small caravans, a glowing campfire, a diesel-powered generator and a line of washing: the temporary home of a travelling family. Two children were playing outside, the older of whom, a boy, had a chat with me as I grew level with them. I suppose they should have been in school, but who could begrudge them a childhood among the fallen leaves in the slanting golden light of early November?


Onwards to the wide, tree lined road leading up towards a modern estate farm.


The sun was already descending in the western sky throwing long shadows through the small plantation beside my path as I made my way back towards Barrington.


Photographing the quaint cottages in the village is all a bit too easy and rather addictive. I strolled across the village green to the church, where my faithful bicycle stood waiting by the churchyard wall.


Take care.



17 comments:

  1. Your photos show a wonderful area to wander around in. I love the cottage in the second photo, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great exploration, John. That third photo is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pleasant bike ride/walk. I love the old thatch roofs and that one is a beauty. Wonderful it has been maintained. I feel peaceful just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous walk. Much variety, so plenty to keep eyes and mind busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am already addicted to your gorgeous photos of the cottages and villages!
    Another salutary saunter - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh golly, what a pleasant ramble through your local landscape. I really miss England. (Have I said that before?) Interesting that there are still travellers living in the countryside. I wonder how long that way of life will last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John - looks glorious ... and yes those chalk ridges and the coach roads on high away from the spring line and damp muddy bottoms ... such a lovely walk to join you on - especially seeing as it's soggy wet down here with a driving wind! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. fortunately the landscape is well preserved * beautiful ballad under the blue sky

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has ben soggy and wet here too! Your post has once again brightened a very dull, rainy and windy day!

    Love the images and text, thank you for sharing your afternoon saunter John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty landscape to stroll through, it's gorgeous. I love the blue framed window in your last photo, it is absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely fall walk! I'd saunter too if I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful place you live.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you 'sauntering'! I only suggested it this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful village houses. The pathway through the bushes looks inviting. Beautiful English scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very pleasant walk, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The views of England you show here are always so beautiful. There is something about old villages and small towns that retain such a lovely view.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to be able to go on some of these walks...everything looks so peaceful and quiet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).